This past week we had a chance to host a Smurfs-inspired party in anticipation of the Smurfs: The Lost Village Blu-ray and DVD release beginning of July! Be sure to check it out and host your own Family Movie Night! I love simple yet cute additions that are easy for us busy moms to put together. The mushroom tic-tac-toe game we created that was inspired by the Smurfs mushrooms and was super easy and you only need a few items. The vanilla bean cupcakes are seriously the best ones I’ve made! I do believe the addition of real vanilla bean is the trick.
Vanilla Bean Cupcake Recipe
This is a super easy recipe to follow and so delicious! Again the vanilla bean seeds add a lot to the recipe though a bit pricey! But it is one of those spices you can keep in your pantry for awhile and use again and again in recipes. The vanilla bean cupcake recipe comes from the talented ladies who wrote The Cupcake Diaries.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp butter, at room temperature is best
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature is best
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature is best
- FOR CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add vanilla and vanilla bean seeds to milk.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat with stand mixer until well combined. Add 1/3 of the milk and mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining ingredients, scraping bowl as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool pans completely on a wire rack.
I used vanilla frosting I picked up from our local grocery store and added red dye to get the red I wanted. Add some white chocolate chips on top to create a “Smurfs mushroom” effect!
Smurfs-inspired Mushroom Tic-Tac-Toe craft
You will need:
Acrylic Paint – white, red and clear
Wood piece (we picked it up at our local craft store)
Thick black permanent marker
Paint the river rocks – 5 of each color
When the paint dries, use the pencil eraser to make the dots.
Pencil in the hashtag using the ruler to make sure the lines are straight. Then go over them with the black permanent marker.
Viola! That is it! Super simple but totally fun for the young kids and big kids! Place under some pretty blue or red polka dot paper (also found at our local craft store).
Buy a couple sheets of fun and colorful paper at your local craft store to put your cake stand. treats and flowers on. We used it under our tic-tac-toe game as well. This just adds some cheer and is an easy way to decorate for a party.
This fruit salad was simple but tasty! Add some strawberries, bananas and blueberries and top with whip cream. It fits the Smurfs party theme don’t you think?! And it is healthy!
Cut some of this paper and glue around small water bottles. Add a flower or other cute Smurf-related sticker on the outside. This literally took less than 5 minutes to put together but I think is just too cute!
This is a great thing to have around! Depending on the theme of the party you can have the kids draw a picture on it.
You all know what a fan I am of balloons and add them at any type of party! They are such a fun addition and aren’t to pricey! We mixed and matched them to fit the Smurfs colors.
What would Smurfette like? That is what went through my head when we were picking out some flowers! I went with some pretty mums but get your favorite flowers or better yet – have the kids pick some on your next nature walk.
Hope you enjoyed these simple ideas and you host a Smurfs Family Movie Night! Out on Blu-ray July 11th! And be sure to check out our Smurfs: The Lost Village video we created here.
Video and party sponsored by SONY Animation but all opinions are our own.