Today I felt the need for a fun snack. Something with chocolate. Something chewy. Something to satisfy my sweet-tooth.
For me this is always a frustrating moment, because I can’t just eat any sweet treat. It has to be gluten-free, or I become a very sick girl.
The quest is on, then, for something yummy and delicious, …AND gluten-free. This is harder than it sounds, because most gluten-free foods, whether processed or ‘home-made’ are not as tasty as foods made with wheat flour.
However, I will say that things are looking better. There are some amazing new gluten-free products hitting the markets, as well as bakeries and stores completely dedicated to those who must eat gluten-free. The flours are getting lighter and better for home made baking. This is exciting news!
While attending the Gluten-Free Expo in Sandy, Utah this past Saturday, I came across a light gluten-free baking flour from Deya’s gluten-free flour. I sampled a pancake at the expo made with this flour and it was very good, so I bought some and decided to try it out with my husband’s favorite cookie; The Toll House Chocolate Chip recipe.
Let me tell you, these cookies were a huge hit. My little ones were shoving them into their mouths with both hands at once. My husband loved them too. This is a big thing coming from a man and kids who do not have to eat gluten-free, and often find gluten-free food disgusting. If the gluten-free food I make passes their discerning taste buds, I know it’s a keeper.
You can find the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on the back of the chocolate chip package. I am including the chocolate chip cookie recipe from deya’s blog also, or you can use any recipe that you already have and love.
This flour is not good for baking bread as it will not rise, but for all of your other baking needs it is wonderful. This light weight flour will work great with any cake, pie or cookie recipe. So start up the oven girl, and let’s get baking! Deya’s flour has made the cut. I’ve got more recipes at Gluten Free Flower Girl.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Yields: Approximately 4 dozen
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease cookie sheets
- In one bowl, mix gluten-free flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and dark brown sugar. Mix until creamy.
- Add water and vanilla to the butter mixture.
- Add eggs to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Drop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets.
- remember that the cookies will spread so leave some space between the cookies.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool cookies on wire rack.